TRINITY RIVER BEACON
Location: Anahuac, Chambers County, Texas.
Mouth of Trinity River, Trinity Bay, Galveston Bay.
“About 75 feet to westward of the outer end of the jetty extending 1 1/8 miles to the southward from the westerly side of the mouth of Middle Pass of Trinity River north-easterly end of Galveston Bay, Tex.” From: 1902 Lights and Fog Signals of the United States.
Historic Location: 29 44 56 N 94 42 54 W
Viewing: This lighthouse no longer exists. The closest you may drive to the former location of this lighthouse is at Old Fort Anahuac on the Trinity River Channel. The “Lighthouse Pass” is marked on the USGS topographic map for Anahuac.
Fort Anahuac Park is located on State Highway 564 one mile south of Anahuac. It was the site of the first armed confrontation between Anglo-Texans and Mexican troops, on June 10-12, 1832.
Brief History: Established 1900. Destroyed in hurricane of 1915.
Construction Type & Design: Red post, supported by red pyramidal structure of four rails with a lamp house at its base.
Height of Light Above Water: 15 ½ feet.
Light Type: Post lantern, fixed red.